While you probably don’t need me to state the obvious for you, I will. No one wants to write a sympathy card. It sucks. Someone that you care about lost someone that they care about, and that’s never easy. Even if you’re not the one grieving, sympathy cards can be emotionally taxing. Like…what do you say? And how do you say it?
Here’s the good news: the person on the receiving end is going to be touched no matter what you write. (Except, of course, if you say something wildly inappropriate. Don’t do that.) But it can be hard to figure out exactly what to say during these hard times, and I get that. That’s why I came up with 40 heartfelt sayings to send to a friend, coworker, or literally any other person you care about. Read on for a smattering of sympathy card messages with the most respectful, sweet, and sensitive vibes.
Sympathy card messages to send to a friend
- I’m here for you during this difficult time. Please don’t hesitate to reach out for anything at all, sweet friend.
- Wishing you peace, comfort, and healing.
- If you need to talk, vent, cry, or drink an entire bottle of wine, I’ve got you.
- My heart breaks for you, but I’m here for you on every step of your grieving journey.
- Be gentle and give yourself grace during this time.
- You have my unconditional support. Please know that, always.
- Your relationship with [name] was pure magic. That will live on.
- You gained a guardian angel. I’m so sorry for your loss and thinking of you every second right now.
- I know that there’s nothing I can say to make this easier, but know that I will be here with you as you go through this journey.
- [Name] will live forever in your heart and ours. We are so lucky to have the time with them that we did.
Sympathy card messages to send to a colleague
- Thinking about you and your family during this difficult time.
- Sending you my deepest condolences. Please reach out if there’s anything I can take off your plate right now.
- My heart is broken for you. Sending you hugs.
- Wishing you peace and healing.
- I am so saddened to hear about your loss. Thinking of you and your loved ones.
- My heart breaks for you. Please let me know if there is anything you need.
- I have no words to express how saddened I am to hear about the news of [name’s] passing.
- I hope you can find peace during this heartbreaking time.
- Sending you so much love and support. Let me know if there’s anything I can do for you.
- My heart goes out to you during this difficult time. Reach out if there’s anything you need.
Sympathy card messages for someone who lost a significant other
- Your love will live on forever. Nothing can change that.
- Your love story was one for the books. We are all better for knowing [him/her/them].
- It was a privilege to witness your love story. It will live forever in all our hearts.
- Your [spouse] was a bright light to this world that will never be forgotten.
- Your partner was an incredible person that touched so many lives. They will be remembered and cherished forever.
- This loss is immeasurable, but [his/her/their] legacy will live on forever.
- The beautiful memories you shared will never leave you, and I hope that brings you comfort and peace during this difficult time.
- I wish there was something I could say or do to take away even one percent of your pain, but I will be here for you every step of the way.
- I hope you can find comfort knowing that you’ll always have the memories you shared. The impact [spouse’s name] made on everyone was incredible.
Sympathy card messages for someone who lost a parent
- Your [mom/dad/parent’s] bright spirit will shine through you forever.
- I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your [mom/dad/parent]. I hope you can find peace knowing what a difference [she/he] made in so many lives.
- Your [mom/dad/parent] was an absolute light to this world and one that will keep shining always.
- Your [mom/dad/parent] was so lucky to have you and vice versa.
- My heart is broken for you. I love you and am here for you during this painful time.
- I hope that your beautiful memories together will bring you comfort during this unimaginably painful time.
- Your [mom/dad/parent] will always be in your heart. Please know how much of an impact they made on the world—that can never go away.
- You are an embodiment of your [mom/dad/parent’s] love, passion, and kindness. That will live on in memory of [her/him/them].
- My heart and thoughts are with you as you go through the grief of losing your sweet [mom/dad/parent].
- Your [mom/dad/parent] lived such a magical and incredible life. They were truly so special.
Megan Schaltegger is an NYC-based writer. She loves strong coffee, eating her way through the Manhattan food scene, and her dog, Murray. She promises not to talk about herself in third person IRL.