Gayle King claims Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have yet to make a peace deal with the royal family – despite efforts being made from both parties.
“There have been efforts on both sides to sort of make this right,” King, 67, told “Extra” after Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral on Monday.
“We shall see.”
The CBS Morning host, who knows the Duke and Duchess of Sussex through her best friend Oprah Winfrey, said that it’s quite normal for “big families” to “go through drama.”
However, King adds that it “remains to be seen” whether the royal rift will ever resolve.
“Are they going to be drawn closer together or are they going to be drawn apart?” she said. “I have no idea. I have no inside information on that, but I will tell you this: It was good to see Harry standing with his family.”
King’s intel comes amid reports that Markle reached out to King Charles III for a one-on-one meeting so they could make amends.
“She’d now like, before they return back to California, to have a one-to-one audience with King Charles III,” royal reporter Neil Sean claimed. “That’s right, Meghan one-to-one with King Charles III. You heard correct.”
Markle allegedly made the request in a “formal letter,” saying the meeting would serve as “an opportunity to clear the air, put the rights from wrongs and explain some of the rationale behind what they’ve been doing over the last two years.”
As previously reported, Markle, 41, and Harry, 38, traveled to the UK prior to Queen Elizabeth II’s death on Sept. 8. They left their two kids – Archie, 3, and 1-year-old Lilibet – at home in Montecito, Calif.
The Sussexes reunited with their estranged royal family members to pay tribute to Britain’s longest-reigning monarch, who was 96 at the time of her death.
The foursome continued to attend several events leading up to the late monarch’s funeral. Markle and Harry joined the royal family in receiving the Queen’s coffin at Buckingham Palace, whereafter William, 40, and Harry had dinner together.
However, the Susexes were uninvited to a pre-funeral reception for the family.
The pair returned again when they attended the funeral for the Queen on Monday. They were seemingly snubbed when they were seated in the second row behind King Charles III, Queen Consort Camilla, the Prince and Princess of Wales, their two kids George and Charlotte, and disgraced Prince Andrew.
Notably, Harry was not permitted to wear his military uniform to the service.
Harry and the “Suits” alum have been on the outs with the royal family since resigning from their royal duties in 2020 and moving to California a year later.
They added fuel to the fire when the couple sat down with King’s BFF Winfrey for a bombshell interview in March 2021 when Markle criticized the royal family.
During the sit-down, Markle claimed that “the firm” did nothing when she came forward about having suicidal thoughts. Markle claimed someone in the royal family raised concerns over their son Archie’s skin color. She also alleged that Middleton, 40, made her cry days before her wedding, though others claim it was the other way around.
While it’s unclear whether Markle and Harry have smoothed things over with the royal family, Winfrey claims that the funeral may bring peace to the fighting family.
“This is what I think, I think in all families — you know, my father passed recently, this summer — and when all families come together for a common ceremony, the ritual of, you know, burying your dead, there’s an opportunity for peacemaking,” Winfrey, who is close friends with the Sussexes, told “Extra” last week.
About Post Author
This article was originally published on this site